Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rob Polmear: I woke up on the southern surveyor and went to the mess for coffee followed by breakfast. The first hour or two was taken up by introductions and getting to know the ship whilst getting out to the first designated station. At the first station I was involved in manoeuvring/deploying the CTD rosette. About 40 minutes after it left the surface water we repositioned it in the wet lab to collect samples. While that was being done I helped in setting the zooplankton net. Next I looked at the zooplankton under the dissecting microscope as the ship went to station 2. At station 2 I switched roles and had a go at the XPT's. I also helped this time with the fluorometer sample collection and preparation from the CTD. I had a look at the zooplankton under the dissecting microscope to quickly note anything interesting particular between stations. At the beginning of the day I felt great but mid morning I was sick. My only comfort at that time was that others were spewing over the rails. That made me feel better but also a little sorry for them :). By lunch time my pills had kicked in and I was feeling pretty good but some of the others continued to get worst. I laughed but felt bad at the same time. After the work from station 2 was done, which was at about 7pm, I went to bed because there was a lot to take in and I got tired. I'll talk again tomorrow. See ya Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment